Important Information Regarding Patient Records
As you know, as of October 1, 2013, Windsor Regional Hospital and Hôtel-Dieu Grace Hospital have realigned healthcare services. To ensure that you are able to continue to access and/or obtain copies of your personal health information please take a moment to read important information below:
Effective October 1, 2013:
- Patient records for patients of former Hôtel-Dieu Grace Hospital (Ouellette) prior to September 30, 2013 are transferred to Windsor Regional Hospital as healthcare custodian;
- Patient records for patients of Windsor Regional Hospital (Tayfour Campus only) prior to September 30, 2013 are transferred to Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare as healthcare custodian.
Patients of the Crisis Centre located on Ouelette Campus remains part of Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare (pre and post 2013).
Please contact the ROI office at Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare for all records pertaining to the Crisis Centre.
What is a health record?
A health record is comprised of:
- Personal information including your name gender, address, date of birth and extended health insurance numbers.
- Personal health information including your Health Card Number, information relating to previous health problems, diagnosis, the record of your visits to the hospital and what health care we provided to you during those visits.
The Role of Health Record Services
Health Record Services oversees the collection, storage, retention and access to your hospital health record chart. We respect and maintain the confidentiality of your personal health information, and inquiries and requests for a copy of your hospital health record chart will be handled by our "Release of Information" staff. During this transition of records between HDGH and WRH, your release of records will be processed through a central Release of Information (ROI) office between the two organizations.
Your inquiries and requests are important to us, and every effort will be made to process your request in a timely manner. Response times may vary due to an increased volume of inquiries, and we appreciate your patience and understanding.
Accessing a Health Record
Collection, use, access and/or disclosure of personal health information are governed by Ontario law (Personal Health Information Protection Act 2004).
Accessing your own health record:
You have a right, by law, to access your own hospital health record either by viewing or requesting a copy.
Requesting a copy of your own health record:
You can obtain a copy of your own hospital health record by submitting a written request to Health Record Services.
Viewing your health record:
A person can review their own health record at the health care facility where they were treated by submitting a written request to Health Record Services.
Obtaining a copy of your health record or the health record of another individual:
Consent for the collection, use and/or disclosure of personal health information is obtained from the patient, regardless of age, if the patient is capable of understanding the information presented to them and the impact of consenting or declining. If the patient is not capable, consent is obtained from the Substitute Decision Maker.
- The individual's (patient's) guardian of the person or guardian of the property
- The individual's attorney for personal care or attorney for property
- The individual's representative appointed by the Consent and Capacity Board
- The individual's spouse or partner
- A child or parent of the individual
- A brother, sister, or any other relative.
In the case of a conflict, the capable patient's decision prevails with respect to consent to collection, use and/or disclosure of their personal health information.
Obtaining a copy of the health record of a deceased individual:
If you are requesting a copy of the hospital record of a patient that is deceased, you must submit proof of your legal signing authority in addition to a written request to Health Record Services.
You must provide either:
- a copy of the deceased person's Will naming you as the Executor or,
- in the absence of a Will, a letter notarized by a lawyer to confirm your legal signing authority
Obtaining a copy of your health record for a third party:
You can request that a copy of your personal health record be released to a lawyer, insurance company, or any other third-party specified by you, completing a written request (click here for form) to Information Management (HIM) Release of Information office.
Obtaining a copy of the health record for other healthcare providers:
When requested, copies of your health record may be released to healthcare providers outside the hospital to ensure the best continuing care for you. Your attending physician at the hospital may also share reports or summaries of your treatment at the hospital with other physicians and healthcare providers involved in your care to ensure they are aware of treatments or medications that may affect your ongoing care.
For your protection, a copy of a health record will not be released to third parties without your written authorization. Health information cannot be released over the telephone.
Please complete the Authorization to Disclose Personal Health Information form. This form can be printed by clicking here or picked up at the following locations:
- Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare - FOI Office, 2nd Floor Casgrain Building.
- Windsor Regional - Metropolitan site Health Records Department or
- Health Records Department located in the Jeanne Mance Building on the second floor at Ouellette site
To avoid delay, please make sure that all information is completed on the form, and ensure that you have signed and dated it. There is a regional fee schedule in place for the ESCLHIN (Erie St. Clair LHIN). Click here for fee schedule.
This form can be mailed or dropped off in person at the Health (HIM) Dept. To expedite your request, the form may be faxed to the Release of Information Department at 519-257-5107.
This authorization is valid for six months and pertains to the release of information that is specific to treatment received on or before the date signed.
Health Record Services - Release of Information Staff
519-257-5111 ext 74153 or 74109
1453 Prince Rd.